Saturday, August 31, 2019

Views on learning and education.


When we first move to Singapore, I often regret about the move. Leaving begin comfort and familarity.  But after 4 years, looking back, I realised that we were destined to move here. Things have happened along the way that have changed the way I look at things. My experiences homeschooling a toddler-preschooler, experiences in forest school, having met so many amazing homeschooling families from all over the world in Singapore and now homeschooling a primary 5 kid. The people I have met, have inspired me and truly treasure these relationships I have. 

My views on learning, parenting and life in general has changed. I now see schooling and society at large from a different perspective. Briefly, here are just some of my realisation. 

I have come to understand the following...

  • Education is compulsory but not schooling
  • Schools were create right about the same time when prisons are created. 
  • Homework has not been proven to help improve grades or knowledge.
  • Grades are not an accurate reflection of intelligence. 
  • Being able to read and write does not equate to intelligence. 
  • Children are naturally curious and love to acquire knowledge. Not just when they are baby,toddler or preschool ages.
  • Children are self motivated if given freedom, space and time.
  • Each child develops at their own pace and have innate potential.
  • Children can learn through play
  • Children can learn better through play
  • Children learn better outdoors. (proven by research--will see if I can find the reference) 
  • Resilence cannot be developed through textbook or man made situations.
  • Letting go is hard but once I have started letting go and respect the growth and development of the child, I started to see magic. They begin to take charge of their own learning, I can see them bloom like a flower. Their innate potential and personality started to unfold and reveal itself.

Here are some of my learnings from these few years and especially these few months of homeschooling. I feel that I am just at the beginning of my journey or rather our journey. Please feel free to comment and share your views. 





No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin